Why is preparing my own food helpful for weight control with fibromyalgia?

Dede Bonner
Health Education

If you can cook, you win two big points in the diet war. Preparing at least some meals yourself can be invaluable in weight loss and management because you can control the quality of the ingredients. The University of Tennessee’s nutrition expert Dr. Barbara Clarke comments, “It’s very important to have cooking skills to manage your diet in a simple, healthful, and controllable way.”

Peggy Jensen, a registered dietitian in Virginia, agrees: “The biggest obstacle is a mind-set that I don’t have time for this. It’s not about preparing foods from scratch but preparing what you eat. When you get into it, you realize it doesn’t take more time than the junky stuff.”

Cooking can be tough for some people with fibromyalgia. Oregon fibromyalgia expert Dr. Kim Dupree Jones advises, “Fatigue is a huge problem with fibromyalgia, so use already cut-up fruits and vegetables to save your time and energy. That way, when you are already exhausted, you won’t reach for fast food, but will eat more sensibly.”
The 10 Best Questions for Living with Fibromyalgia: The Script You Need to Take Control of Your Health

A good mind knows the right answers...but a great mind knows the right questions. And never are the Best Questions more important than after the life-altering diagnosis of fibromyalgia -- or when you...

Continue Learning about Living With Fibromyalgia