Q

Living With Fibromyalgia

Does my ideal weight change if I have fibromyalgia?

• There's no reason for your ideal weight to change if you have fibromyalgia. Some people with fibromyalgia complain of weight gain, but this may be because they become more sedentary as they struggle with pain and fatigue. Being sedentary can worsen your symptoms, which is why doctors often recommend a regimen of light to moderate exercise for people with fibromyalgia.
    1 person found this helpful.
  • A , Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered

Your ideal weight is the same whether or not you have fibromyalgia, though people with fibromyalgia may be prone to weight gain.

Weight gain isn't inevitable if you develop fibromyalgia. Sure, you may have less energy for exercise due to the condition. And some people may react  to the stress of coping with fibromyalgia by scarfing down large doses of chocolate ice cream or potato chips. Lack of exercise and a bad diet could eventually make your weight less than ideal. Finally, it's also true that certain medications that doctors prescribe for fibromyalgia may cause modest weight gain. But fibromyalgia itself isn't known to make you gain weight. If your belt is stretching, it may be time to rethink your diet and find ways to get a little more active.

This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Does being overweight have an effect on fibromyalgia?