Does my ideal weight change if I have fibromyalgia?

There's no reason for your ideal weight to change if you have fibromyalgia. Some people with fibromyalgia complain of weight gain, but this may be because they become more sedentary as they struggle with pain and fatigue. Being sedentary can worsen your symptoms, which is why doctors often recommend a regimen of light to moderate exercise for people with fibromyalgia.

Your ideal weight is the same whether or not you have fibromyalgia, though people with fibromyalgia may be prone to weight gain.

Weight gain isn't inevitable if you develop fibromyalgia. Sure, you may have less energy for exercise due to the condition. And some people may react  to the stress of coping with fibromyalgia by scarfing down large doses of chocolate ice cream or potato chips. Lack of exercise and a bad diet could eventually make your weight less than ideal. Finally, it's also true that certain medications that doctors prescribe for fibromyalgia may cause modest weight gain. But fibromyalgia itself isn't known to make you gain weight. If your belt is stretching, it may be time to rethink your diet and find ways to get a little more active.

Continue Learning about Living With Fibromyalgia

Why is it hard to talk with my doctor about my fibromyalgia?
Mihaela B. Taylor, MDMihaela B. Taylor, MD
Doctors should not dismiss fibromyalgia, saying that they don't believe in it. Fibromyalgia is not a...
What conditions can co-exist with fibromyalgia, myofascial pain, or ME/CFS?
Akash Bajaj, MDAkash Bajaj, MD
Overlapping (comorbid) conditions are ailments that frequently occur together. Fibromyalgia syndrome...
Why Are Antidepressants Sometimes Prescribed to Treat Fibromyalgia?
What Are the Most Common Challenges People with Fibromyalgia Face?