How should I talk to my doctor about my fibromyalgia?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
If you have fibromyalgia, speak up and share what's really bothering you. Make sure you tell your doctor everything about your fibromyalgia and any other health concerns. Doctors aren't mind readers; they don't know what your concerns are if you don't tell them. If you answer "no" when your doctor asks if you have any unanswered questions or concerns, he will believe that you don't have any outstanding issues.

Tell your doctor about your symptoms, including:
  • pain severity and locations
  • how many hours you usually sleep at night, and whether your sleep is restful
  • whether you have problems with fatigue
  • whether you have bowel or bladder symptoms
  • how your mood has been
  • what you consider to be your worst two fibromyalgia symptoms
  • how fibromyalgia affects your life–what you're not doing because of fibromyalgia, what you're still doing but may not be doing as well, and where your fibromyalgia holds you back
Make sure you also tell your doctor about:
  • any other medical conditions you're being treated for
  • other health problems you're having
  • all of the medications you take–including prescription, over-the-counter, and natural remedies, such as herbs and supplements
  • any other treatment you're getting
  • plans for pregnancy
The Woman's Fibromyalgia Toolkit: Manage Your Symptoms and Take Control of Your Life

The Woman's Fibromyalgia Toolkit tells readers what they need to know to take control of fibromyalgia symptoms. It includes step-by-step instructions for using effective non-drug treatments,...

Continue Learning about Living With Fibromyalgia

How do I explain my fibromyalgia to my young children?
Young children should be reassured, first and foremost, that fibromyalgia is not a fatal disease, no...
How can smoking affect fibromyalgia?
Smoking cigarettes can increase the pain you feel due to fibromyalgia, a condition that makes muscle...
How Can I Relieve Chronic Pain from Conditions Like Fibromyalgia?
What Does My Family Need to Know About My Fibromyalgia Treatment?