How can I avoid flare-ups from fibromyalgia?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The key to avoiding fibromyalgia flare-ups is to figure out what causes your symptoms to worsen. Once you have identified the triggers for your fibromyalgia flare-ups, you can take steps to avoid or control them.

The triggers for fibromyalgia flare-ups differ from one person to another. For some, cold weather and drafty environments worsen symptoms. In that case, checking the weather forecast and bundling up on cold days can help to avoid flare-ups. Other common triggers for fibromyalgia include hormonal fluctuations (such as those that occur prior to menstruation), psychological stress, and exercising too hard. Your doctor may be able to help you identify what causes your fibromyalgia to flare up.

Continue Learning about Living With Fibromyalgia

What are some problems caused by fibromyalgia?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Fibromyalgia is considered to be a chronic pain condition, but pain is only one of the many trou...
What conditions can co-exist with fibromyalgia, myofascial pain, or ME/CFS?
Akash Bajaj, MDAkash Bajaj, MD
Overlapping (comorbid) conditions are ailments that frequently occur together. Fibromyalgia syndrome...
Why is it hard to talk with my doctor about my fibromyalgia?
Mihaela B. Taylor, MDMihaela B. Taylor, MD
Doctors should not dismiss fibromyalgia, saying that they don't believe in it. Fibromyalgia is not a...
What Are the Criteria to Diagnose Fibromyalgia?