What questions will help me select a personal trainer for my fibromyalgia?

Dede Bonner
Health Education

Having a personal trainer who understands your exercise needs and physical limitations can be a wonderful motivation to keep moving. A study published in the British Medical Journal concluded that people with fibromyalgia who worked with a personal trainer twice a week for twelve weeks were twice as likely to report feeling “much better” than those people who didn’t participate.

However, award-winning personal trainer Bill Sonnemaker, MS, warns, “Over 95 percent of people practicing as personal trainers should not be doing so because they are not certified by an accredited and medically recognized organization.” Like any other profession, personal fitness training attracts its share of losers. In fact, trainers’ missing credentials are often ignored, especially if they look like bodybuilding rock stars.

Ask the following questions when you interview potential personal trainers and before you sign a contract. Make sure you get someone who will help—not hurt—you.

1- Are you certified by an accredited organization? If so, which one?

2- How long have you been a personal trainer?

3- What experience and education do you have for working with people with fibromyalgia or chronic pain?

4- When is the last time you completed a continuing education course? Did you take this course online or with a live instructor?

5- How do you plan to personalize my training program?

6- How will you help me to meet my fitness goals?

7- What is your follow-up strategy?

8- Do you have professional liability insurance?

9-What are your hourly rates? Do you have any discounts or other offers? Can I try a sample session for free?

10- Could you please give me the names and contact details for three of your clients that I can check with?

11- How do you plan to stay in communication with my doctor? How often?

The 10 Best Questions for Living with Fibromyalgia: The Script You Need to Take Control of Your Health

A good mind knows the right answers...but a great mind knows the right questions. And never are the Best Questions more important than after the life-altering diagnosis of fibromyalgia -- or when you...

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia and Exercise

Do any groups certify personal trainers to deal with fibromyalgia?
Mr. Rich Kevan, CPTMr. Rich Kevan, CPT
While no specific agency offers a certification specifically targeting fibromyalgia a properly educa...
Can exercise help fibromyalgia symptoms?
There is no single form of exercise that's right for everyone who has fibromyalgia. What matters is ...
Why Is Exercise Important to Managing Chronic Pain?
How Does Exercise Help Reduce Fibromyalgia Pain?