Can exercise help fibromyalgia symptoms?

As tempting as it may be to simply hit the couch whenever fibromyalgia pain and fatigue have you in their grip, it's important that you don't become completely sedentary. In fact, studies show that a regular exercise regimen helps improve fibromyalgia pain and fatigue, but becoming completely sedentary may just make them worse.

Take the RealAge Test!

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
There is no single form of exercise that's right for everyone who has fibromyalgia. What matters is that you develop an exercise plan that you enjoy and that you'll stick with for the long haul. Regular physical activity can help to manage your fibromyalgia symptoms. Some forms of exercise that may work for you include walking, jogging, bicycling, and swimming. Whatever you choose, start slowly and gradually build up your duration and intensity.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia and Exercise

Do any groups certify personal trainers to deal with fibromyalgia?
Mr. Rich Kevan, CPTMr. Rich Kevan, CPT
While no specific agency offers a certification specifically targeting fibromyalgia a properly educa...
How can strength training help people living with fibromyalgia?
Lifting light weights or doing other types of resistance-based strength training might improve a pat...
What questions should I ask my fitness club if I have fibromyalgia?
Margaret Scherrer Margaret Scherrer
Make sure your fitness club has a pool and classes like "gentle yoga" are good for you too.  Having ...
How Does Exercise Help Reduce Fibromyalgia Pain?