What should I ask when getting a second opinion about fibromyalgia?

Gender is the biggest risk factor of fibromyalgia. You could say fibro is a bit sexist, as women are nearly seven times more likely to get it compared to men. Age is another: The condition is more common in middle age and later. Genes likely play a role as well, although there is no readily available test to see if you have a genetic susceptibility to fibro. Trauma, either physical or emotional, can trigger the condition. Post-traumatic stress disorder can be a risk factor. So can repetitive injury. Other risk factors include existing medical conditions such as spine disorders and arthritis, including rheumatoid arthritis.
It is important to trust your doctor to decide which medical tests are best to make sure more serious medical problems are not present. But if your doctor is unable to diagnose and treat your fibromyalgia symptoms effectively, it makes sense to get a second opinion or even a third one if you want more answers. You may need further testing to be sure the symptoms are not caused by a problem such as cancer. Seeking a second or third opinion is important if you have any doubts about a diagnosis or treatment. 
Jacob Teitelbaum
Integrative Medicine
I would ask you physician if they are familiar with how to effectively treat this disease and if they believe it is a real and physical illness. In addition to getting you pain medications to help ease the pain, they should also be familiar with treating the illnesses underlying causes. Be sure they are familiar with the need to treat sleep, hormonal deficiencies, and infections as well as giving nutritional support.
Piedmont Heart Institute
Administration

The best thing to do when seeking additional opinions about your condition is to write down all of your questions and be concise and precise with your questions.

Make sure you describe your condition/symptoms accurately and in detail as to frequency of occurrence, duration, location and precipitating factors.

Also describe any prior treatment plans including medical therapy and there success or lack thereof.
Most importantly, make sure you understand the answers to your questions and do not be afraid to ask for clarification.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Diagnosis