What is the relationship between substance P and fibromyalgia?

Substance P is a neurotransmitter, or brain chemical, that stimulates pain receptors in the body. If a person's substance P levels are elevated, his or her perception of pain may be greatly exaggerated. Some scientists have investigated whether high levels of substance P play a role in the pain associated with fibromyalgia. More research is needed on the link between substance P and fibromyalgia.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Causes

At what age does fibromyalgia typically start in women?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
A survey of 100 women with fibromyalgia found that the average woman started experiencing fibrom...
What causes pain associated with fibromyalgia?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Some of the latest information from medical journals reveals that in people who suffer with chronic ...
What Are the Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?
What Are the Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?
What Are My Options for Fibromyalgia Treatment?