What other illnesses cause fibromyalgia?

Jacob Teitelbaum
Integrative Medicine

Many different processes can trigger fibromyalgia, including injuries, after pregnancies, hormonal deficiencies, infections, sleep disorders, chronic stress, nutritional deficiencies, and many, many more. Because of this, sometimes the fibromyalgia is missed because of the initial disease (for example, in women with lupus or rheumatoid arthritis where these illnesses have been effectively treated but the severe symptoms persist because of a secondary fibromyalgia – which requires a different treatment). A helpful question to ask yourself is "Can I get a good night’s sleep?" If the answer is no, and you have widespread pain, ask your physician to consider whether you might have a secondary fibromyalgia which also needs treatment.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Causes

Is there a link between depression and fibromyalgia?
Dr. David C. Fiore, MDDr. David C. Fiore, MD
Depression and/or anxiety have been found to be in 30 to 50 percent of patients that have been diagn...
Can stress cause fibromyalgia?
This is still debatable. There is no question that there is a strong association between stress ...
What Are My Options for Fibromyalgia Treatment?
Use Yoga to Soothe Pain and Sleep Better