What causes fibromyalgia?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

For the most part, the cause of fibromyalgia is a mystery, but research has been able to shed a little light on the subject. It is very common for people to develop fibromyalgia following some type of physical or emotional trauma and stress seems to play a big role in that. However, exactly how stress affects fibromyalgia remains unclear. The condition has also been linked to certain infections and tends to run in families, leading researchers to believe that genetics are involved. This theory is further supported by the evidence of certain genes occurring more frequently in those suffering from fibromyalgia.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Causes

How Is Fibromyalgia Triggered?
How Is Fibromyalgia Triggered?
What Does My Family Need to Know About My Fibromyalgia Treatment?
What Are the Criteria to Diagnose Fibromyalgia?
Why Are Antidepressants Sometimes Prescribed to Treat Fibromyalgia?