Does my risk for fibromyalgia increase with age?

You may think that only adults get fibromyalgia, but that is incorrect. Fibromyalgia can occur in anyone at any age. Even kids are diagnosed with this painful syndrome. Around 3% to 5% of the US population has fibromyalgia. More women are diagnosed with fibromyalgia, though it is not uncommon for men to experience constant muscle pain, fatigue, sleep problems, and depression–all linked to fibromyalgia.

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
The risk of fibromyalgia increases with age. Many people who are diagnosed with fibromyalgia develop symptoms for the first time in their middle years, though this condition can strike at any age. Women are at the greatest risk for fibromyalgia. In fact, 80 percent to 90 percent of people with fibromyalgia are women. Other conditions that become more common with age, such as arthritis, can mimic the symptoms of fibromyalgia.
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Middle-aged people, especially women, are at the highest risk for developing fibromyalgia. The average age at diagnosis is 45. As you get older, the chances of getting fibro also increase, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. However, some people over 60 may get misdiagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (an inflammatory auto-immune disease) or polymyalgia rheumatica (a painful condition with similar symptoms to fibro), which doctors may think are more common in people over 60.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Causes

Can an injury cause fibromyalgia?
The exact causes of fibromyalgia are not known. It's likely that genes predispose certain people to ...
What role do nerves play in fibromyalgia?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
There is no true cause for fibromyalgia. However, it does appear that the central nervous system is ...
What Are My Options for Fibromyalgia Treatment?
How Is Fibromyalgia Triggered?
How Is Fibromyalgia Triggered?