Can surgery put me at risk for fibromyalgia?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Doctors who treat fibromyalgia have noticed that some people experience their first symptoms of this condition following a stressful event. Undergoing surgery is both physically and psychologically stressful. The exact risk of developing fibromyalgia due to surgery is unknown. If you experience persistent pain, fatigue, or other symptoms following a surgical procedure, talk to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Causes

What increases my risk for fibromyalgia?
Your chances for developing fibromyalgia can be increased by several risk factors. One of the most c...
Why do more women develop fibromyalgia than men?
Women account for the vast majority of fibromyalgia cases, but no one is certain why because the exa...
Is Fibromyalgia Genetic?
Is Fibromyalgia Genetic?
What Are the Most Common Challenges People with Fibromyalgia Face?