How can my partner best help me with my fibromyalgia?

The first step is the most critical step: Ask your partner for help with your fibromyalgia. Don't assume that he or she knows you need assistance. In fact, partners and family members sometimes slip into "head in the sand" mode when a loved one is sick. It may seem easier to pretend that nothing is wrong and ignore reality than it is to deal with a partner's chronic illness. But that won't help either of you in the long run. Talk about your needs and how your partner can help you to manage fibromyalgia. Be willing to listen and understand when your partner expresses his or her needs, too. Having an open dialogue about your fibromyalgia won't always be easy, but it will make you stronger as a team.
Dealing with fibromyalgia is always a team effort for a couple when one person is living with the condition. You and your partner should be willing to talk openly about your fibromyalgia. You may need to adjust household roles and responsibilities to accommodate your fibromyalgia treatment, and your partner should be willing to discuss these changes and help put them into action. For example, your partner can help you commit to a new sleep schedule or bedtime routine that eases the symptoms of fibromyalgia. The two of you can attend support-group meetings together; these can be beneficial for people with fibromyalgia and their loved ones. Finally, enjoying moderate exercise together, such as an evening walk, and committing to eating healthy meals together are great ways to deal with fibromyalgia as a duo and will lead to healthier lives for both of you.

Continue Learning about Caring for a Loved One with Fibromyalgia