Why is birth weight plotted on a bell curve?

The classic bell curve helps make a vital point about how your baby's weight in the womb influences his lifelong health. Most times, kids fall in the middle of that bell curve—right in the normal range; that's why the middle of the baby-weight bell curve is bigger than a septuplets' grocery bill. But you also need to be aware of what happens when you teeter toward the extreme edges of fetal weight, because that's when your provider may need to intervene.

In pregnancy, the bell curve teaches us about what's happening to your developing baby. Your baby's optimal grade rests right in the middle of the bell curve. Why? Because Goldilocks was right about your baby's size. You don't want too big and you don't want too small. You want just about right.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

Mom’s Sweet Tooth Puts Babies at Risk of Asthma
“What took you so long?” a pregnant Lucy asks Ricky on an episode of I Love Lucy. “There’s only one store in New York City that makes a papaya juice m...
Which synaptic connections are formed first in a baby's brain development?
Interestingly, synaptic connections are formed in a particular order. First come the primary sen...
What is the earliest that is healthy for my baby to be born?
Week 37 is when your baby is considered full-term. At this point, the baby is far enough in developm...
What are the advantages of bed rest during pregnancy?
Bed rest helps your situation by minimizing the need for your blood to provide energy to your body -...