Why is birth weight plotted on a bell curve?

The classic bell curve helps make a vital point about how your baby's weight in the womb influences his lifelong health. Most times, kids fall in the middle of that bell curve—right in the normal range; that's why the middle of the baby-weight bell curve is bigger than a septuplets' grocery bill. But you also need to be aware of what happens when you teeter toward the extreme edges of fetal weight, because that's when your provider may need to intervene.

In pregnancy, the bell curve teaches us about what's happening to your developing baby. Your baby's optimal grade rests right in the middle of the bell curve. Why? Because Goldilocks was right about your baby's size. You don't want too big and you don't want too small. You want just about right.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

Can a father's drinking harm his unborn baby?
How alcohol affects the male sperm is currently being studied. Whatever the effects are found to be,...
What does fetal movement or a kick count indicate?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
Kick counts are a way for mom to check in on how her baby is doing. All babies are different and som...
How often does my baby move in the womb?
Unless you've got a counter, it's hard to keep up. At 20 weeks, the average is about 200 movements a...
What determines the sex of a baby?
Methodist HospitalMethodist Hospital
The father's chromosomes determine the sex of the baby.