What are the advantages of bed rest during pregnancy?

Bed rest helps your situation by minimizing the need for your blood to provide energy to your body - thus maximizing the blood (and nutrient) delivery to your baby. That's the theory, at least - bed rest may have no benefit, but doctors (like most humans) feel they have to do something for you and this is a pretty benign option.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

What role do T cells and B cells play in fetal immunity?
A fetus's early immunity comes in the form of T cells and the primitive Toll-Like Receptors (TLRs), ...
How does a non-stress test measure a fetus's heart rate?
Performed in the third trimester, this test monitors the fetus's heart rate as a sign of his health....
When does the fetus develop reflexes?
A fetus develops plenty of reflexes, and all of these reflexes depend on the central nervous system....
How often does my baby move in the womb?
Unless you've got a counter, it's hard to keep up. At 20 weeks, the average is about 200 movements a...