Why should I avoid continuous electronic fetal monitoring (EFM)?

Continuous electronic fetal monitoring (EFM) increases the likelihood of both cesarean sections and operative vaginal births (births in which forceps or a device known as a vacuum extractor are used to help pull the baby out of the birth canal). Continuous EFM does not offer clear benefit for babies when compared to monitoring the fetal heart rate intermittently during labor. Talk with your caregiver and check hospital policies to find out whether they are willing to check your baby's heart rhythm with a handheld device or occasional use of EFM instead of continuous EFM. With some types of intervention that involve increased risk (for example, epidurals for pain control), you will be required to use continuous EFM.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth

ALL THE INFORMATION YOU NEED TO MAKE WISE DECISIONS ABOUT YOUR PREGNANCY AND THE BIRTH OF YOUR CHILD -- FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH" Pregnancy and birth are as ordinary...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

What is the difference between gestational age and fetal age?
Stephen Clark, DOStephen Clark, DO
When we start talking about the length of pregnancy and the age of the baby, it can sometimes be...
Why is birth weight plotted on a bell curve?
The classic bell curve helps make a vital point about how your baby's weight in the womb influences ...
At what point in my pregnancy do I start counting my baby's kicks?
Count the KicksCount the Kicks
Typically you start monitoring fetal movements during the third trimester of your pregnancy, or at 2...
When does the sense of touch develop in a fetus?
The first sense to emerge, touch happens as early as 7 ½ weeks, when your baby can first sense touch...