Why should I avoid continuous electronic fetal monitoring (EFM)?

Continuous electronic fetal monitoring (EFM) increases the likelihood of both cesarean sections and operative vaginal births (births in which forceps or a device known as a vacuum extractor are used to help pull the baby out of the birth canal). Continuous EFM does not offer clear benefit for babies when compared to monitoring the fetal heart rate intermittently during labor. Talk with your caregiver and check hospital policies to find out whether they are willing to check your baby's heart rhythm with a handheld device or occasional use of EFM instead of continuous EFM. With some types of intervention that involve increased risk (for example, epidurals for pain control), you will be required to use continuous EFM.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth

ALL THE INFORMATION YOU NEED TO MAKE WISE DECISIONS ABOUT YOUR PREGNANCY AND THE BIRTH OF YOUR CHILD -- FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH" Pregnancy and birth are as ordinary...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

Mom’s Sweet Tooth Puts Babies at Risk of Asthma
“What took you so long?” a pregnant Lucy asks Ricky on an episode of I Love Lucy. “There’s only one store in New York City that makes a papaya juice m...
How often should I feel my baby move during pregnancy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Fetal movement counting in pregnancy is an important way to monitor your baby's health. After you ar...
What is the fetal fibronectin (fFN) test?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
The fetal fibronectin (fFN) test measures the levels of fFN in secretions from a pregnant woman's va...
Do babies kick less near the end of pregnancy?
Count the KicksCount the Kicks
Babies do not kick less near the end of pregnancy. Toward the end of pregnancy the baby may move dif...