When does the sense of touch develop in a fetus?

The first sense to emerge, touch happens as early as 7 ½ weeks, when your baby can first sense touch on the lips and nose, and quickly extends to the rest of body, as he goes from touching his lips or nose to touching the uterine wall, his face, and the rest of his body. Touch is a critical survival sense, as it not only enables a baby to suck, swallow, and cough at birth, but also to take in amniotic fluid while in the womb.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

What is the role of Vitamin B6 in fetal development?
Low levels of vitamin B6 are associated with a delay in the development of the baby's nervous system...
Can exposure to loud noises damage an unborn baby's hearing?
The way babies' hearing works (and ours, too) is that sound waves stimulate little hairs attached to...
How do doctors determine fetal weight?
Doctors can't exactly get a scale inside the womb, so we doctors need to rely on a number of other m...
What immune defenses does the fetus have?
The fetus's first line of defense is a primitive form of immunity called toll-like receptors (TLRs)....