When does the sense of touch develop in a fetus?

The first sense to emerge, touch happens as early as 7 ½ weeks, when your baby can first sense touch on the lips and nose, and quickly extends to the rest of body, as he goes from touching his lips or nose to touching the uterine wall, his face, and the rest of his body. Touch is a critical survival sense, as it not only enables a baby to suck, swallow, and cough at birth, but also to take in amniotic fluid while in the womb.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

What is fetal movement?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
Throughout intrauterine life the developing fetus is flexing and extending its extremities and total...
Can a father's drinking harm his unborn baby?
How alcohol affects the male sperm is currently being studied. Whatever the effects are found to be,...
What should I do if my unborn baby isn't growing properly?
Deborah DavisDeborah Davis
Growth retardation may be associated with factors that cannot be totally controlled.  However, other...
When does the fetus develop reflexes?
A fetus develops plenty of reflexes, and all of these reflexes depend on the central nervous system....