What tests can be done if my baby isn't kicking enough?

Once you report decreased activity, your doctor should have you come to the office or go directly to your hospital’s labor and delivery unit. There are other tests that can be done to check on your baby’s health. For example:
  • Nonstress test - monitoring your baby’s heart rate in response to its own movements.
  • Ultrasound - taking pictures from sound waves to check the growth of the baby, amniotic fluid quantity, placenta, blood flow pattern, etc.
  • Biophysical profile - using an ultrasound exam with a nonstress test to evaluate your baby’s heart rate, breathing, body movement, muscle tone and amniotic fluid quantity.
  • Contraction stress test – monitoring your baby’s heart rate in response to uterine contractions.

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

Mom’s Sweet Tooth Puts Babies at Risk of Asthma
“What took you so long?” a pregnant Lucy asks Ricky on an episode of I Love Lucy. “There’s only one store in New York City that makes a papaya juice m...
Can a father's drinking harm his unborn baby?
How alcohol affects the male sperm is currently being studied. Whatever the effects are found to be,...
When should I contact my healthcare provider if counting my baby's kicks?
Count the KicksCount the Kicks
If you are counting your baby's kicks, do the following: Call your provider if your baby has less...
What are the big developmental milestones during pregnancy?
Here's what's happening at week number… 6. The heart and a big part of the lungs are formed, as wel...