What role do T cells and B cells play in fetal immunity?

A fetus's early immunity comes in the form of T cells and the primitive Toll-Like Receptors (TLRs), which work together to identify potential invaders and fight against them. The immunity process in pregnancy is one-of-a-kind, as the mom's body must help protect what it might initially see as a potential invader.

T cells work by looking for bad guys in the body and creating memories of any potential invaders they encounter, like bacteria, viruses, or parasites (a biological Most Wanted List of sorts). The T cells act as the captains and generals of the fetal immune system army—making decisions about how many immune cells will respond to potential threats, ensuring that the body doesn't over- or under-respond.

B cells serve as the privates, waiting for a signal to tell them whether the invader is a good guy or bad guy. Once they know it's a bad guy, they start making antibodies and go blasting away.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

What is gestational age?
Gestational age is the age of a pregnancy calculated as the number of weeks that have elapsed from t...
How does a baby develop in the second and third trimester of pregnancy?
The second and third trimester is an active time in an unborn baby's life. Learn about this progress...
How does music affect a developing fetus?
We encourage you to listen to all kinds of music during and after pregnancy. This will help stimulat...
What is amniotic fluid?
No matter your favorite fluid of choice - water, tea, a venti pumpkin spice latte - it's time to app...