What is fetal blood sampling?

Fetal blood sampling, also known as PUBS (percutaneous umbilical blood sampling), is the collection of a small amount of blood from the fetus during pregnancy. Fetal blood sampling is performed by maternal-fetal medicine specialists to diagnose, treat, and monitor various fetal problems.

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

Mom’s Sweet Tooth Puts Babies at Risk of Asthma
“What took you so long?” a pregnant Lucy asks Ricky on an episode of I Love Lucy. “There’s only one store in New York City that makes a papaya juice m...
Should I read aloud to my baby before he's born?
While fetuses hear much the way that we hear a next-door stereo (lots of bass, not a lot of high...
How does music affect a developing fetus?
We encourage you to listen to all kinds of music during and after pregnancy. This will help stimulat...
How fast does a brain develop in utero?
The pace at which a baby's neural network is built is truly mind boggling: In utero, brains buil...