What immune defenses does the fetus have?

The fetus's first line of defense is a primitive form of immunity called toll-like receptors (TLRs). They work a bit like an alarm system; they recognize cells as evil or friendly and then send alerts to other immune cells (namely T and B cells) to do the dirty work.

Immune cells called B-lymphocytes appear in the fetal liver, and T-lymphocytes develop in the thymus (a gland in the chest, which is large in babies, but small in adults) by the end of the first trimester. By this time, the fetus is much better able to withstand sophisticated invaders and potential threats than it was when just the TLRs were in place. Along with the timing of the fetus's major organ development, the fact that the fetal immune system isn't fully up and running until the second trimester is why you have to be especially careful about exposure to toxins and infectious agents during your first trimester.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

What are fetal diagnostic procedures?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
Fetal Diagnostic Procedures include a variety of assessments and test that examine the fetus or stru...
What is the role of Vitamin B6 in fetal development?
Low levels of vitamin B6 are associated with a delay in the development of the baby's nervous system...
When does the sense of smell develop in a fetus?
It used to be that scientists believed fetuses had about as much of a sense of smell as they had a s...
Will I deliver my baby early if I have IUGR?
SwedishSwedish
If you have intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR) and your baby has stopped growing or has other pr...