What immune defenses does the fetus have?

The fetus's first line of defense is a primitive form of immunity called toll-like receptors (TLRs). They work a bit like an alarm system; they recognize cells as evil or friendly and then send alerts to other immune cells (namely T and B cells) to do the dirty work.

Immune cells called B-lymphocytes appear in the fetal liver, and T-lymphocytes develop in the thymus (a gland in the chest, which is large in babies, but small in adults) by the end of the first trimester. By this time, the fetus is much better able to withstand sophisticated invaders and potential threats than it was when just the TLRs were in place. Along with the timing of the fetus's major organ development, the fact that the fetal immune system isn't fully up and running until the second trimester is why you have to be especially careful about exposure to toxins and infectious agents during your first trimester.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

Should I have a quad screen test during pregnancy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Prenatal testing, such as the quad screen, is a very personal decision from patient to patient. It's...
What is the fetal fibronectin (fFN) test?
The fetal fibronectin (fFN) test measures the levels of fFN in secretions from a pregnant woman's va...
Which tests can diagnose impairment in my fetus?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Three types of tests screen for or diagnose potential impairments in the fetus are:-The first type i...
When does the sense of touch develop in a fetus?
The first sense to emerge, touch happens as early as 7 ½ weeks, when your baby can first sense touch...