What can my baby sense in the womb?

You may think, as your baby grows inside of you, that he's floating around in a muted, dark place that's basically the wet and warm equivalent of solitary confinement. While it's true that your baby doesn't have a tricked-out womb complete with surround sound, wireless Internet, or an oceanfront view, don't make the mistake of thinking that his senses are lying dormant until he's born. In fact, in utero is the exact time when his five senses start kicking in - not only in response to what he needs now but also to help prepare him for all the things he'll need to do once he relocates to the outside world.

Sensory development is one of the more amazing processes of pregnancy - especially because your unborn baby's senses really serve as a proxy for his overall brain development. While senses manifest themselves through such things as mouths, ears, eyes, noses, and fingers, the real sensory magic happens in his brain.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

What immune defenses does the fetus have?
The fetus's first line of defense is a primitive form of immunity called toll-like receptors (TLRs)....
What is gestational age?
Gestational age is the age of a pregnancy calculated as the number of weeks that have elapsed from t...
What does fetal movement or a kick count indicate?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
Kick counts are a way for mom to check in on how her baby is doing. All babies are different and som...
How do doctors know if the unborn baby has breathing problems?
Louise E. Sivak, MDLouise E. Sivak, MD
Breathing problems will not become apparent until the infant does in fact start to breathe air. Pren...