Which synaptic connections are formed first in a baby's brain development?

Interestingly, synaptic connections are formed in a particular order. First come the primary sensory synapses, so baby can sense the world around him; followed by those synapses that control gross motor skills, so that he can escape from any threats he senses; then fine motor skills, so he can write about what he just did. Last come the synapses that control higher brain functions such as motivation, judgment, and reasoning, so that he learns what he may have done right and wrong in any given situation. These final pathways aren't fully functional until the late teens or even early twenties.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

Can I tell the gender of my baby by my belly shape?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
Your friends and family may enjoy looking at your belly and guessing the gender of your baby. Howeve...
What can my baby sense in the womb?
You may think, as your baby grows inside of you, that he's floating around in a muted, dark place th...
What determines the sex of a baby?
In humans, the sex of the baby is determined by the sperm. The sperm gamete is heterogamatic because...
What should I do if I can't feel my baby move during the third trimester?
Count the KicksCount the Kicks
If you cannot feel the baby move during kick counts in the third trimester, drink a glass of juice o...