Should I read aloud to my baby before he's born?

While fetuses hear much the way that we hear a next-door stereo (lots of bass, not a lot of high frequencies), they are able to hear voices filtered through tissues, bones, and fluid. And by week 24, they recognize -- and are calmed by -- their mothers' voices. Of course, they can't distinguish one word from another; rather, the rhythm and melody of voices they hear serve as their foundation for language. That's why so many moms read aloud to their children, even before that first night in the crib. We strongly endorse that practice, too -- not just for brain development but also to allow your baby to hear your voice and establish an auditory bond at an early age.

The womb isn't some noise-free vacuum. That's why so many moms read aloud to their child even before that first night in the crib. I strongly endorse that practice, too - not just for brain development, but also to allow your baby to hear your voice and establish an auditory bond at an early age. I also encourage you to listen to all kinds of music because music will help stimulate his senses and improve his brain development. During and after pregnancy, you want to expose your child to as much pleasant stimulation as you can - in all kinds of settings. Exposure to different sounds and scenes is essentially what helps those neural connections get established.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

When does the sense of touch develop in a fetus?
The first sense to emerge, touch happens as early as 7 ½ weeks, when your baby can first sense touch...
How are fingerprints formed in the womb?
Innumerable environmental factors influence the formation of fingerprints, including the exact posit...
How do doctors know if the unborn baby has breathing problems?
Louise E. Sivak, MDLouise E. Sivak, MD
Breathing problems will not become apparent until the infant does in fact start to breathe air. Pren...
What is fetal blood sampling?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
Fetal blood sampling, also known as PUBS (percutaneous umbilical blood sampling), is the collection ...