Should I read aloud to my baby before he's born?
RealAge
Administration

While fetuses hear much the way that we hear a next-door stereo (lots of bass, not a lot of high frequencies), they are able to hear voices filtered through tissues, bones, and fluid. And by week 24, they recognize -- and are calmed by -- their mothers' voices. Of course, they can't distinguish one word from another; rather, the rhythm and melody of voices they hear serve as their foundation for language. That's why so many moms read aloud to their children, even before that first night in the crib. We strongly endorse that practice, too -- not just for brain development but also to allow your baby to hear your voice and establish an auditory bond at an early age.

The womb isn't some noise-free vacuum. That's why so many moms read aloud to their child even before that first night in the crib. I strongly endorse that practice, too - not just for brain development, but also to allow your baby to hear your voice and establish an auditory bond at an early age. I also encourage you to listen to all kinds of music because music will help stimulate his senses and improve his brain development. During and after pregnancy, you want to expose your child to as much pleasant stimulation as you can - in all kinds of settings. Exposure to different sounds and scenes is essentially what helps those neural connections get established.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

At 4 weeks, the cells of the fetus are specializing into a nervous system, hair, organs, and skin. At 12 weeks, the fetus is around 2 _ inches in size and makes movement on its own. At 20 weeks, the nervous systems functions, sex ...

can be determined, and you will feel your baby move. At 28 weeks, the fetus weighs over 2 pounds and if born prematurely, would most likely be able to survive. At 32 weeks, the baby weighs 4 pounds and fat layers begin to develop under its skin. At 36 weeks, the lungs are almost fully developed and brain function is developing rapidly. At 37 weeks, a term pregnancy can be made.