How does a non-stress test measure a fetus's heart rate?

Performed in the third trimester, this test monitors the fetus's heart rate as a sign of his health. You'll have a monitor strapped around your waist and your doctor will look for two or more accelerations of 15 beats per minute above the normal baseline, each lasting for 15 seconds or more, during a 20 to 30 minute period. If your baby doesn't move, he could be sleeping. To stimulate him, you will usually be given a sugary or bubbly drink, or the nurse will make a loud noise to try to wake him up. If you pass this test, you typically don't need to move onto the next ones.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

When does the fetus develop the sense of balance?
You may think that babies don't need to have balance at all since they're not exactly standing or wa...
Can I tell the gender of my baby by my belly shape?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
Your friends and family may enjoy looking at your belly and guessing the gender of your baby. Howeve...
When do sebaceous glands form?
Sebaceous glands (which excrete sebum, the body's natural protective oils) begin to form in the four...
How is fetal blood sampling performed?
Fetal blood sampling, also known as PUBS (percutaneous umbilical blood sampling), is the collection ...