How does a non-stress test measure a fetus's heart rate?

Performed in the third trimester, this test monitors the fetus's heart rate as a sign of his health. You'll have a monitor strapped around your waist and your doctor will look for two or more accelerations of 15 beats per minute above the normal baseline, each lasting for 15 seconds or more, during a 20 to 30 minute period. If your baby doesn't move, he could be sleeping. To stimulate him, you will usually be given a sugary or bubbly drink, or the nurse will make a loud noise to try to wake him up. If you pass this test, you typically don't need to move onto the next ones.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

When should pregnant women start feeling fetal movement?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
Pregnant women typically start feeling fetal movement during the second trimester, commonly between ...
Why should I avoid continuous electronic fetal monitoring (EFM)?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Continuous electronic fetal monitoring (EFM) increases the likelihood of both cesarean sections and ...
How do intermittent and continuous fetal monitoring differ?
There is good evidence that continuous fetal monitoring in uncomplicated pregnancies has done nothin...
What is an embryo?
An embryo is the medical term used for a developing baby from the moment the fertilized egg implants...