Can exposure to loud noises damage an unborn baby's hearing?

The way babies' hearing works (and ours, too) is that sound waves stimulate little hairs attached to nerve cells in the cochlea, a tiny shell-shaped structure in the inner part of the ear, which send impulses to the brain. Any damage to those hairs - from loud noises, for example - can affect the functioning of the inner ear. That's why you should protect yourself and your baby, especially if you work in a factory, on the subway, or on the Tarmac.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

How does a non-stress test measure a fetus's heart rate?
Performed in the third trimester, this test monitors the fetus's heart rate as a sign of his health....
When does the fetus develop the sense of balance?
You may think that babies don't need to have balance at all since they're not exactly standing or wa...
How does the brain develop in a fetus?
During the first thirty days of pregnancy, the fetus's central nervous system begins to take sha...
Can I tell the gender of my baby by my belly shape?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
Your friends and family may enjoy looking at your belly and guessing the gender of your baby. Howeve...