Can exposure to loud noises damage an unborn baby's hearing?

The way babies' hearing works (and ours, too) is that sound waves stimulate little hairs attached to nerve cells in the cochlea, a tiny shell-shaped structure in the inner part of the ear, which send impulses to the brain. Any damage to those hairs - from loud noises, for example - can affect the functioning of the inner ear. That's why you should protect yourself and your baby, especially if you work in a factory, on the subway, or on the Tarmac.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

Is 19 Weeks Too Early to Determine the Sex of My Baby?