How do intermittent and continuous fetal monitoring differ?

There is good evidence that continuous fetal monitoring in uncomplicated pregnancies has done nothing to improve outcomes for babies and mothers but has dramatically increased the cesarean section rate. Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, continuous fetal monitoring has become the norm in many hospitals.

Continuous fetal heart rate monitoring should be reserved for situations in which epidurals or Pitocin are being used and for women who have certain complications. If you are having a hospital birth and there is no clear-cut medical reason for you to have continuous monitoring, ask your provider to consider intermittent monitoring.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth

ALL THE INFORMATION YOU NEED TO MAKE WISE DECISIONS ABOUT YOUR PREGNANCY AND THE BIRTH OF YOUR CHILD -- FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH" Pregnancy and birth are as ordinary...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

When does the sense of smell develop in a fetus?
It used to be that scientists believed fetuses had about as much of a sense of smell as they had a s...
When should I contact my healthcare provider if counting my baby's kicks?
Count the KicksCount the Kicks
If you are counting your baby's kicks, do the following: Call your provider if your baby has less...
What is an embryo?
An embryo is the medical term used for a developing baby from the moment the fertilized egg implants...
What is the earliest that is healthy for my baby to be born?
Week 37 is when your baby is considered full-term. At this point, the baby is far enough in developm...