How is fetal blood sampling performed?

Fetal blood sampling, also known as PUBS (percutaneous umbilical blood sampling), is the collection of a small amount of blood from the fetus during pregnancy. Fetal blood sampling is an outpatient procedure but involves a number of hours in the outpatient setting. The procedure is done under ultrasound guidance and the technique is similar to an amniocentesis. The mother's abdomen is cleaned with an antiseptic solution, and the umbilical cord is visualized. A thin needle is inserted into a fetal blood vessel of the umbilical cord. When the needle is in place, a blood sample is removed. Once the needle is in the vessel it can also be used to administer medications or a blood transfusion, if necessary. Once the procedure is completed the mother will need to rest and have the fetal heart rate monitored and the uterus assessed for contractions for several hours. In addition post procedure care includes monitoring for sign of bleeding, infection or change in fetal activity.

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

Which synaptic connections are formed first in a baby's brain development?
Interestingly, synaptic connections are formed in a particular order. First come the primary sen...
When should I contact my healthcare provider if counting my baby's kicks?
Count the KicksCount the Kicks
If you are counting your baby's kicks, do the following: Call your provider if your baby has less...
How does the brain develop in a fetus?
During the first thirty days of pregnancy, the fetus's central nervous system begins to take sha...
When does the sense of smell develop in a fetus?
It used to be that scientists believed fetuses had about as much of a sense of smell as they had a s...