How does the brain develop in a fetus?

During the first thirty days of pregnancy, the fetus's central nervous system begins to take shape. A long, flat structure develops that forms a groove and rolls up into a tube. One end of the tube starts to swell -- that's the brain. The rest turns into the spinal cord. By eight weeks into pregnancy, a large part of the brain is already formed. Now, the fetus is not doing long division just quite yet, but many parts of the brain are already in place: structures like the thalamus and the cerebral cortex, which are related to memory and learning. During the last few months of pregnancy, the brain grows and thickens and really begins kicking into action.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

What is the earliest that is healthy for my baby to be born?
Week 37 is when your baby is considered full-term. At this point, the baby is far enough in developm...
Can I tell the gender of my baby by my belly shape?
Lots of people believe that the shape of their belly reflects the gender of the baby inside. Many th...
What is an embryo?
An embryo is the medical term used for a developing baby from the moment the fertilized egg implants...
What tests can be done if my baby isn't kicking enough?
First CandleFirst Candle
Once you report decreased activity, your doctor should have you come to the office or go directly to...