Can I tell the gender of my baby by my belly shape?

Your friends and family may enjoy looking at your belly and guessing the gender of your baby. However, it is not an accurate way to do so. So don’t decide on your baby's nursery color based on their guesses. The most accurate way to tell if you are having a boy or girl is to have an ultrasound or blood test. The only way you will know for sure is when the baby is born. Speak to your OBGYN about gender testing.

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Lots of people believe that the shape of their belly reflects the gender of the baby inside. Many think, for instance, that you've got a boy if you have a basketball belly (with no fat anywhere else), and you're carrying a girl if you're shaped more like a watermelon (fat all the way around, like an inner tube). The truth is that belly shape has nothing to do with the gender of your child, but rather your body type, fitness, and genetics—specifically, the elasticity of your belly, as well as the length of your belly from your pubic bone to your xyphoid (the lowest junction in the middle of your chest).

YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

You can not find out the sex of the baby by the shape of the belly.

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

How does the brain develop in a fetus?
During the first thirty days of pregnancy, the fetus's central nervous system begins to take sha...
Do babies kick less near the end of pregnancy?
Count the KicksCount the Kicks
Babies do not kick less near the end of pregnancy. Toward the end of pregnancy the baby may move dif...
What is the difference between gestational age and fetal age?
Stephen Clark, DOStephen Clark, DO
When we start talking about the length of pregnancy and the age of the baby, it can sometimes be...
When does the fetus develop the sense of balance?
You may think that babies don't need to have balance at all since they're not exactly standing or wa...