What are some effects of poor fetal nutrition?

In utero, if you feed your baby fewer nutrients, you're programming your child to expect an environment of deprivation ex-utero. So genes that cause the fetus to be very thrifty (metabolically speaking) are turned on. Once the baby is born and the external environment is not one of deprivation, that child will conserve more of the food it gets and become fatter, exhibiting what's known as a thrifty phenotype.

More fat storage equals an increased likelihood of becoming overweight and developing heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, cancer, and even osteoporosis as an adult. It's similar to the reason why starvation diets don't work: Your metabolism slows and your body goes into fat-storage mode when it thinks it's faced with famine. Poor fetal nutrition may also permanently change the structure and development of vital organs like the brain. In some cases, these epigenetic changes can even be passed on to future generations, as well.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

What tests can be done if my baby isn't kicking enough?
First CandleFirst Candle
Once you report decreased activity, your doctor should have you come to the office or go directly to...
What is fetal blood sampling?
Fetal blood sampling, also known as PUBS (percutaneous umbilical blood sampling), is the collection ...
How are fingerprints formed in the womb?
Innumerable environmental factors influence the formation of fingerprints, including the exact posit...
What is an embryo?
An embryo is the medical term used for a developing baby from the moment the fertilized egg implants...