How does music affect a developing fetus?

We encourage you to listen to all kinds of music during and after pregnancy. This will help stimulate baby's senses and improve his brain development. Exposure to different sounds and scenes is essentially what helps establish connections from one set of neurons—the nerve cells of the brain—to another. This is how we all learn. These neural structures are shaped like a tree and root system. A baby's brain is extremely plastic, meaning that it can constantly adapt and make new connections between trees.

Take the RealAge Test!

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

When does the fetus develop reflexes?
A fetus develops plenty of reflexes, and all of these reflexes depend on the central nervous system....
How is amniotic fluid used as a diagnostic tool for a fetus?
Amniotic fluid gives us clues as to what's happening developmentally in utero. Besides bathing in am...
What should I do if my unborn baby isn't growing properly?
Deborah DavisDeborah Davis
Growth retardation may be associated with factors that cannot be totally controlled.  However, other...
What is fetal movement?
Throughout intrauterine life the developing fetus is flexing and extending its extremities and total...