At what point in my pregnancy do I start counting my baby's kicks?

Typically you start monitoring fetal movements during the third trimester of your pregnancy, or at 28 weeks. Your doctor may recommend that you begin at 24 to 26 weeks if you have a high-risk pregnancy.

While statistically your chance of losing your baby after the first trimester decreases, approximately one out of every 160 pregnancies ends in stillbirth (defined as a baby that dies at 20 weeks of gestation or later). Fifty percent of mothers who have lost a baby to stillbirth reported perceived gradual decline in fetal movement several days prior to the death of the baby. This indicates that many cases of stillbirth are not sudden. Counting your baby's kicks will help you detect any significant changes in your baby's movement that may indicate potential problems.

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

Mom’s Sweet Tooth Puts Babies at Risk of Asthma
“What took you so long?” a pregnant Lucy asks Ricky on an episode of I Love Lucy. “There’s only one store in New York City that makes a papaya juice m...
How can doctors check up on a fetus's well being?
Elena H. Yanushpolsky, MDElena H. Yanushpolsky, MD
There are a number of ways doctors can and do check fetus’ well being, and the modalities vary depen...
What immune defenses does the fetus have?
The fetus's first line of defense is a primitive form of immunity called toll-like receptors (TLRs)....
Should I have a quad screen test during pregnancy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Prenatal testing, such as the quad screen, is a very personal decision from patient to patient. It's...