At what point in my pregnancy do I start counting my baby's kicks?

Typically you start monitoring fetal movements during the third trimester of your pregnancy, or at 28 weeks. Your doctor may recommend that you begin at 24 to 26 weeks if you have a high-risk pregnancy.

While statistically your chance of losing your baby after the first trimester decreases, approximately one out of every 160 pregnancies ends in stillbirth (defined as a baby that dies at 20 weeks of gestation or later). Fifty percent of mothers who have lost a baby to stillbirth reported perceived gradual decline in fetal movement several days prior to the death of the baby. This indicates that many cases of stillbirth are not sudden. Counting your baby's kicks will help you detect any significant changes in your baby's movement that may indicate potential problems.

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

How are fingerprints formed in the womb?
Innumerable environmental factors influence the formation of fingerprints, including the exact posit...
How fast does a brain develop in utero?
The pace at which a baby's neural network is built is truly mind boggling: In utero, brains buil...
What is the role of Vitamin B6 in fetal development?
Low levels of vitamin B6 are associated with a delay in the development of the baby's nervous system...
How do intermittent and continuous fetal monitoring differ?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
There is good evidence that continuous fetal monitoring in uncomplicated pregnancies has done nothin...