At what point in my pregnancy do I start counting my baby's kicks?

Typically you start monitoring fetal movements during the third trimester of your pregnancy, or at 28 weeks. Your doctor may recommend that you begin at 24 to 26 weeks if you have a high-risk pregnancy.

While statistically your chance of losing your baby after the first trimester decreases, approximately one out of every 160 pregnancies ends in stillbirth (defined as a baby that dies at 20 weeks of gestation or later). Fifty percent of mothers who have lost a baby to stillbirth reported perceived gradual decline in fetal movement several days prior to the death of the baby. This indicates that many cases of stillbirth are not sudden. Counting your baby's kicks will help you detect any significant changes in your baby's movement that may indicate potential problems.

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

How does a non-stress test measure a fetus's heart rate?
Performed in the third trimester, this test monitors the fetus's heart rate as a sign of his health....
When does the fetus develop the sense of balance?
You may think that babies don't need to have balance at all since they're not exactly standing or wa...
What role do T cells and B cells play in fetal immunity?
A fetus's early immunity comes in the form of T cells and the primitive Toll-Like Receptors (TLRs), ...
When does the sense of touch develop in a fetus?
The first sense to emerge, touch happens as early as 7 ½ weeks, when your baby can first sense touch...