Why should I see my OBGYN if I want to get pregnant?

Dr. Ashley B. Briggs, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

Your OBGYN can be a great guide if you're planning to get pregnant. In this video, Dr. Ashley Briggs lists a number of topics that should be discussed with your OBGYN if you want to have a baby.

Before getting pregnant, talk to your OBGYN about preconception health care. Your doctor will want to discuss your health history and any medical conditions you currently have that could affect a pregnancy. He or she also will discuss any previous pregnancy problems, medicines that you currently are taking, vaccinations that you might need, and steps you can take before pregnancy to prevent certain birth defects.

If your doctor has not talked with you about this type of care―ask about it.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Do You Know What Meds Are Safe to Take While Pregnant?
Pregnancy—even in our high-tech era—still seems a bit magical. So it’s not surprising that there have always been some pretty far-out ideas about what...
What should I avoid while using pregnancy testing kits?
A home-use pregnancy testing kit involves the collection of a urine sample to detect the presenc...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How Soon After Giving Birth Can I Have Sex?