Why should I see my OBGYN if I want to get pregnant?

Dr. Ashley B. Briggs, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

Your OBGYN can be a great guide if you're planning to get pregnant. In this video, Dr. Ashley Briggs lists a number of topics that should be discussed with your OBGYN if you want to have a baby.

Before getting pregnant, talk to your OBGYN about preconception health care. Your doctor will want to discuss your health history and any medical conditions you currently have that could affect a pregnancy. He or she also will discuss any previous pregnancy problems, medicines that you currently are taking, vaccinations that you might need, and steps you can take before pregnancy to prevent certain birth defects.

If your doctor has not talked with you about this type of care―ask about it.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Pot While Pregnant Harms Baby
Pot While Pregnant Harms Baby
Up In Smoke (Cheech and Chong, 1978) may have floated the hazy notion that smoking marijuana was harmless fun, but new research shows a woman’s chance...
What is the amniotic sac?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
The amniotic sac is a thin-walled pair of membranes that contains the fetus and amniotic fluid durin...
What exercises help prepare me for labor and delivery?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
Regular exercise during pregnancy helps to maintain cardiovascular health, core body tone and mainta...
How Is Hyperemesis Gravidarum Treated?
How Is Hyperemesis Gravidarum Treated?