Why do I need to rest after I deliver my baby?

The first few days at home after having your baby are a time for rest and recovery physically and emotionally. You need to focus your energy on yourself and on getting to know your new baby. Even though you may be very excited and have requests for lots of visits from family and friends, try to limit visitors and get as much rest as possible. Don't expect to keep your house perfect. You may find that all you can do is eat, sleep, and care for your baby. And that is perfectly okay. Learn to pace yourself from the first day that you arrive back home. Try to lie down or nap while the baby naps. Don't try to do too much around the house. Allow others to help you and don't be afraid to ask for help with cleaning, laundry, meals, or with caring for the baby.

This answer is based on source information from The U.S Department of Human Services Office on Womens Health.  

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Fascinating Facts About Twins and Multiples
Being a twin, triplet or quadruplet is a fascinating and unique experience, says OBGYN Jessica Shepherd, MD, an assistant professor of clinical obstet...
Can pregnancy cause insomnia?
Pregnancy causes physical changes such as repositioning of the abdominal and thorax organs to accomm...
What should I avoid during pregnancy?
Throughout pregnancy, you should avoid certain substances to keep your baby as healthy as possible, ...
8 Breastfeeding Questions You’re Too Afraid to Ask
8 Breastfeeding Questions You’re Too Afraid to Ask8 Breastfeeding Questions You’re Too Afraid to Ask8 Breastfeeding Questions You’re Too Afraid to Ask8 Breastfeeding Questions You’re Too Afraid to Ask
Can you really pump and dump? And can you drink caffeine and breastfeed? Among the host of questions new mothers face, many revolve around breastfeedi...