Why am I more prone to strains when I'm pregnant?

The hormone relaxin helps soften the connective tissues of the body - relaxing the pelvic joints, ripening the cervix, and preparing your body to deliver. The side effect of these important changes is that loose ligaments make it a lot more difficult to exercise, because they make you much more prone to strains and sprains. Remember, while ligaments need to have some flexibility to assist in joint movement, they also need to have some stability to help keep your joints in their proper places.

If you're not careful, there's the potential for a vicious cycle here: You find it difficult to exercise because of joint pain (or because you injured a joint during exercise), so you stop exercising. You stop exercising, and you lose strength in your supportive core muscles. You lose that support, and your body feels about as strong as a cotton ball. So you hurt, you ache, you slow down, and you definitely don't exercise. That's why I feel it's critical to maintain your fitness during pregnancy - safely and effectively.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Pregnant? Why You Should Avoid Phthalates
If you’re pregnant or thinking about being pregnant staying away from phthalates (used to make plastics pliable) may be best for your future child’s n...
How should I care for my breasts after giving birth?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
How you care for your breasts after childbirth depends on whether or not you will breastfeed your ba...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
Can I Prevent Problems with Pregnancy After Age 40?