Why is it common to be constipated during pregnancy?

It may seem hard to believe, but the structure of the anus is exactly like the structure of your lips. Purse your lips together and those folds in your lips look just like the veins in your anus that fill with pressure when you try to move your bowels. And that can be hard work due to the fact that progesterone is slowing down the speed at which your intestines move your waste downward - making constipation a common side effect of pregnancy.

You can soften that cement-like feeling of constipation by drinking a little more fluid (like prune juice or water), eating a little more fiber, and even using glycerine suppositories. Assuming your kidneys are working fine, try 200 mg twice a day of magnesium, either in a pill or capsule form.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Ask Dr. Darria: I’m Pregnant and I Can’t Stop Vomiting. Is This Normal?
I’m two months pregnant, and I’m vomiting so much that it’s hard for me to go to work. Is this harming my baby? Is there any way to find relief? As I ...
Fascinating Facts About Twins and Multiples
Being a twin, triplet or quadruplet is a fascinating and unique experience, says OBGYN Jessica Shepherd, MD, an assistant professor of clinical obstet...
Are Hormones Taking Your Eyes for a Ride?
You might not think about how your hormones affect your eyes and vision, but they do throughout your life. "Hormones definitely affect your eyes from...
What experiences can I go through during pregnancy?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
If you are pregnant, during the coming nine months, you will experience enormous physical and emotio...