When should I start exercising after childbirth?

Missey Moe-Cook
Health Education
Birth is normal, natural and healthy. For a vaginal delivery, you can start exercising after childbirth as soon as you feel comfortable. If you experience a surgical birth, otherwise known as a Caesarean Delivery, it will take longer for your body to heal. Your healthcare Provider will be able to tell you when you can resume exercise.
Brooke Randolph
Marriage & Family Therapy
After pregnancy and childbirth, you may have difficulty recognizing your own body and may not like what you see. Most people suggest waiting six weeks after childbirth before starting exercise, and eight weeks if you had a cesarean section. If you are breastfeeding, you will likely feel more comfortable if you feed your baby before exercising. Exercise will help you lose the baby weight and feel more connected and in charge of your body. If you do not have someone to watch the baby while you are working out, find a gym with child care, work out at home during nap time, or take walks or runs with a stroller.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Are Hormones Taking Your Eyes for a Ride?
You might not think about how your hormones affect your eyes and vision, but they do throughout your life. "Hormones definitely affect your eyes from...
If I'm pregnant and carrying high, will I have a girl?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
This is a myth and about as accurate as a guess - it's right half the time. "Carrying high" means th...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
What Is the Centering Pregnancy Model?
What Is the Centering Pregnancy Model?