When should I call my doctor if I have an ectopic pregnancy?

Call your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy (a condition in which a fertilized egg grows outside of the uterus, usually in a fallopian tube):
  • abnormal vaginal bleeding
  • abdominal or pelvic pain
  • shoulder pain (may signal blood build-up in the diaphragm from a ruptured fallopian tube)
  • feeling faint or dizzy (may be a sign of blood loss)
Ectopic pregnancy is a serious medical condition. Your doctor can do an ultrasound exam and blood tests to diagnose the ectopic pregnancy. Medications or possibly surgery can be used to treat an ectopic pregnancy. Once you have had one ectopic pregnancy you are at increased risk of having another one. However, many women who have had ectopic pregnancies go on to have normal pregnancies and births.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Sounding the Alarm On Keepsake Ultrasounds
Everyone has a favorite keepsake stashed in a drawer somewhere -- a withered corsage from the prom, a yellowing newspaper write-up of the first high-s...
What experiences can I go through during pregnancy?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
If you are pregnant, during the coming nine months, you will experience enormous physical and emotio...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How Is Hyperemesis Gravidarum Treated?
How Is Hyperemesis Gravidarum Treated?