When should I call my doctor if I have an ectopic pregnancy?

Call your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy (a condition in which a fertilized egg grows outside of the uterus, usually in a fallopian tube):
  • abnormal vaginal bleeding
  • abdominal or pelvic pain
  • shoulder pain (may signal blood build-up in the diaphragm from a ruptured fallopian tube)
  • feeling faint or dizzy (may be a sign of blood loss)
Ectopic pregnancy is a serious medical condition. Your doctor can do an ultrasound exam and blood tests to diagnose the ectopic pregnancy. Medications or possibly surgery can be used to treat an ectopic pregnancy. Once you have had one ectopic pregnancy you are at increased risk of having another one. However, many women who have had ectopic pregnancies go on to have normal pregnancies and births.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

What pregnancy screening tests do I need if I'm over 35?
Saint Agnes Medical CenterSaint Agnes Medical Center
A pregnant woman over age 35 may need more frequent prenatal visits or more screenings to rule out f...
How safe is it to clean out a litter box while pregnant?
It may not be safe to clean out a litter box while pregnant. It is best to avoid contact with cat fe...
What is a non-stress test (NST) during pregnancy?
A non-stress test (NST) is a non-invasive method of fetal evaluation used in the last trimester of p...
What can I expect during my appointment with a prenatal genetic counselor?
SwedishSwedish
If you are pregnant and have unanswered questions about origins of diseases or traits in your family...