When should I call my doctor if I have an ectopic pregnancy?

Call your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy (a condition in which a fertilized egg grows outside of the uterus, usually in a fallopian tube):
  • abnormal vaginal bleeding
  • abdominal or pelvic pain
  • shoulder pain (may signal blood build-up in the diaphragm from a ruptured fallopian tube)
  • feeling faint or dizzy (may be a sign of blood loss)
Ectopic pregnancy is a serious medical condition. Your doctor can do an ultrasound exam and blood tests to diagnose the ectopic pregnancy. Medications or possibly surgery can be used to treat an ectopic pregnancy. Once you have had one ectopic pregnancy you are at increased risk of having another one. However, many women who have had ectopic pregnancies go on to have normal pregnancies and births.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

What pregnancy screening tests do I need if I'm over 35?
Saint Agnes Medical CenterSaint Agnes Medical Center
A pregnant woman over age 35 may need more frequent prenatal visits or more screenings to rule out f...
More Answers
How safe is it to clean out a litter box while pregnant?
Univ. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family MedicineUniv. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family Medicine
It may not be safe to clean out a litter box while pregnant. It is best to avoid contact with cat fe...
More Answers
What is a non-stress test (NST) during pregnancy?
Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhDDr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
A non-stress test (NST) is a non-invasive method of fetal evaluation used in the last trimester of p...
More Answers
What can I expect during my appointment with a prenatal genetic counselor?
If you are pregnant and have unanswered questions about origins of diseases or traits in your family...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.