Which vaccinations should I have during pregnancy?

Some vaccines can and should be given during a pregnancy, while others, specifically the ones containing live viral particles, should not be given. For this reason, it is best to see a doctor before pregnancy to assess immunity and receive any vaccines that are needed. Common vaccines in this category are MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) and varicella (chickenpox).

Once pregnancy is established, women should receive the flu vaccine if they will be pregnant during influenza (flu) season and the Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) regardless of time of year. After delivery, the MMR and varicella vaccines can be given if indicated.

Among all the health questions that arise during pregnancy, one of the biggest is: what medicines and vaccines are safe during this time?

The most important vaccine during pregnancy is for influenza. The “flu shot” is given annually to combat the anticipated strains of flu circulating in that given year, and it is of paramount importance for pregnant women to receive the inactivated flu vaccine. Contracting the flu during pregnancy puts you at serious risk for complications and hospitalization, and symptoms can be detrimental to the pregnancy.

You should also get the Tdap vaccine for tetanus, diphtheria and acellular pertussis during each pregnancy. Ideally, this will be administered between weeks 27 and 36 of your pregnancy during your third trimester.

Some of a woman’s immunity to disease is passed along to their baby during pregnancy, protecting them from some diseases during the first few months of life, before the baby’s 2-month checkup when initial vaccines are routinely administered.

In addition to boosting your immunity during pregnancy, you should be cautious about travel to areas known to be common locations for vaccine-preventable diseases. Talk to your doctor about any planned international travel and work together on a care plan if the trip is unavoidable.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Sounding the Alarm On Keepsake Ultrasounds
Everyone has a favorite keepsake stashed in a drawer somewhere -- a withered corsage from the prom, a yellowing newspa...
If my pregnancy bump is narrow, am I having a boy?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
This pregnancy myth is about as accurate as those that try to predict a baby's gender based on wheth...
Will chemotherapy prevent me from getting pregnant?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
You cannot depend on chemotherapy to prevent pregnancy, and getting pregnant while receiving chemoth...
Can Petite Women Safely Give Birth Vaginally?