What stretching exercises help reduce back pain during pregnancy?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
Some exercises that help reduce back pain during pregnancy include:

1. Tensor fascia lata (TFL) & quadriceps stretch stretches key pelvic muscles that affect pelvic rotation and contribute to back pain. It also develops lower abdominal strength to resist pelvic rotation caused by tight thigh or pelvic muscles.

2. All-fours rocking stretch passively restores normal pelvic and spinal mechanics.

3. Forward-bend stretch stretches tight paraspinal muscles.

4. Wall slides develop core muscles for greater control of the lower spine while standing.

5. Heel slides develop core muscles for greater control of the lower spine.
Fixing You: Back Pain During Pregnancy: Self-treatment for sciatica, back pain, SI Joint or pelvic pain, and advice for abdominal strengthening post partum.

Changes happen during pregnancy that not only lead to back pain during pregnancy but also afterward. Many of these changes affect the shape of the spine and tilt of the pelvis. Both of these...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

What You Need to Know About Pregnancy After 35
At 50 years old, beloved pop legend Janet Jackson gave birth to son Eissa Al Mana. The singer made headlines not only because of her new baby, but als...
What is a term pregnancy?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
In humans, singleton (one-baby) pregnancy lasts, on average, 40 weeks, or 280 days from the first da...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
What Medications Should I Avoid If I'm Pregnant or Trying to Get Pregnant?