What should I know about the safety of headache medicines when pregnant?

The primary headache medication that is recommended for use during pregnancy is acetaminophen. Acetaminophen has a long history of being safe during pregnancy. Ibuprofen is not recommended during pregnancy.
Dawn Marcus
Neurology
It is often difficult to say that a headache medication for pregnant women is completely safe. Recommendations are usually for safer rather than 100-percent safe medications. This is clearly a balancing act --weighing the risk of using a medication against the risk of treating severe symptoms such as pain, nausea, and dehydration.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Flu Shots Are Pregnancy-Approved
Flu Shots Are Pregnancy-Approved
The 2013 Korean movie Flu takes the fear of epidemic infection over the top, but luckily two brave docs risk everything to develop a vaccine. We love ...
What are "Pregnancy Category C" medications?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
The FDA has created guidelines for drug companies to follow in regards to labeling medications and t...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How May Nursing My Baby Affect My Libido?