What causes the pelvis to tilt forward during pregnancy?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
It's important to understand that the pelvis can develop an anterior pelvic tilt (position that results from tilting forward of the pelvis, usually due to weight of fetus during pregnancy) even if the muscles in the front of the pelvis don't tighten up. In about 10 percent of people I treat, I've seen the pelvis just "fall" into an anterior tilt due to poor abdominal control and perhaps lumbar spine hypermobility (excessive joint movement).

Standing with straightened, or locked, knees pitches the pelvis into an anterior pelvic tilt. This posture promotes further back extension, in the form of an increased lumbar lordosis (natural inward curve of the lumbar and cervical spine), which causes back pain.
Fixing You: Back Pain During Pregnancy: Self-treatment for sciatica, back pain, SI Joint or pelvic pain, and advice for abdominal strengthening post partum.

Changes happen during pregnancy that not only lead to back pain during pregnancy but also afterward. Many of these changes affect the shape of the spine and tilt of the pelvis. Both of these...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Sounding the Alarm On Keepsake Ultrasounds
Everyone has a favorite keepsake stashed in a drawer somewhere -- a withered corsage from the prom, a yellowing newspaper write-up of the first high-s...
What do I do if I have leg pain after having a baby?
It could mean a change in blood pressure, as well as the formation of a blood clot in your leg. Your...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
Can Petite Women Safely Give Birth Vaginally?