What is pregnancy?

Pregnancy is the state of carrying a developing embryo or fetus within the female body, specifically in the uterus.  Human pregnancy lasts for ten lunar months or approximately 40 weeks from the first day of the last normal menstrual period.

Pregnancy is the time between fertilization and birth in which a fertilized egg goes through stages of development inside the mother's body -- first becoming a blastocyst, then an embryo, then a fetus. A normal pregnancy lasts approximately nine months, at which time a baby is ready to be born.

Teneisha C. Davis, MD
Family Medicine
Pregnancy is defined as the interval of time when an egg is fertilized to birth.  This process usually takes approximately 40 weeks to complete. 

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Pregnancy and Opioid Addiction
Pregnancy and Opioid Addiction
Alicia Keyes craved root beer floats while pregnant with her second child, Genesis; Victoria Beckham was marmalade-crazed while carrying daughter Harp...
How can I feel intimate with my partner after childbirth?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
A simple way to feel intimate and make an emotional connection after childbirth is to is to try hugg...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
Can I Exercise During Pregnancy?
Can I Exercise During Pregnancy?