What is pregnancy?

Pregnancy is the state of carrying a developing embryo or fetus within the female body, specifically in the uterus.  Human pregnancy lasts for ten lunar months or approximately 40 weeks from the first day of the last normal menstrual period.

Teneisha C. Davis, MD
Family Medicine
Pregnancy is defined as the interval of time when an egg is fertilized to birth.  This process usually takes approximately 40 weeks to complete. 
Pregnancy is the time between fertilization and birth in which a fertilized egg goes through stages of development inside the mother's body -- first becoming a blastocyst, then an embryo, then a fetus. A normal pregnancy lasts approximately nine months, at which time a baby is ready to be born.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Sounding the Alarm On Keepsake Ultrasounds
Everyone has a favorite keepsake stashed in a drawer somewhere -- a withered corsage from the prom, a yellowing newspa...
If I'm pregnant and carrying low, will I have a boy?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
This is one of those myths that makes guessing the baby's gender fun but has no basis in fact. "Carr...
Why should I see my OBGYN if I want to get pregnant?
Dr. Ashley B. Briggs, MDDr. Ashley B. Briggs, MD
Your OBGYN can be a great guide if you're planning to get pregnant. In this video, Dr. Ashley Briggs...
What Changes Can I Expect in My Body After Giving Birth?