What is the amniotic sac?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The amniotic sac is a thin-walled pair of membranes that contains the fetus and amniotic fluid during pregnancy. The inner membrane, the amnion, contains the amniotic fluid and the fetus. The outer membrane, the chorion, contains the amnion and is part of the placenta. The amniotic sac has a capacity of 4 to 5 L at term. The wall of the sac extends from the margin of the placenta. The intact sac and its fluid provide for the equilibration of hydrostatic pressure within the uterus. During labor, the sac effects the uniform transmission of the force of uterine contractions to the cervix for dilation.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

What Changes Can I Expect in My Body After Giving Birth?
After How Many Weeks Can I Feel Safe Telling People I'm Pregnant?
How Soon After Giving Birth Can I Have Sex?
Is It Safe to Drink Green Tea During Pregnancy?