What is a non-stress test (NST) during pregnancy?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

A non-stress test (NST) is a non-invasive method of fetal evaluation used in the last trimester of pregnancy. The NST combined accelerations in fetal heart rate with spontaneous or evoked fetal movement. It is relatively easy and inexpensive to perform and has no known contraindications. A NST examines fetal cardiac reactivity in response to fetal movement. The outcome of a NST is either reactive which is an indicator of fetal well-being or non-reactive which is an indicator of poor perinatal outcome.

A non-stress test is a prenatal screening late in pregnancy, prior to the onset of labor. It uses a fetal monitor to evaluate fetal heart-rate patterns, especially during fetal movements. Increases in the heart rate are reassuring of the baby’s well being.

It is a simple noninvasive test that involves attaching one belt to Mom’s abdomen to measure fetal heart beat and a second belt to measure contractions. It checks fetal heart rate, movement and “reactivity” of the heart rate to the movement. This is used mostly in high risk pregnancies after 28 weeks when the baby is developed enough to respond to normal stimuli. This test poses no known risks or side effects to Mother or baby.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Just Relax and You'll Get Pregnant: True or False?
If you have fertility issues and you’re trying to conceive, you’ve probably heard the advice “Just relax and you’ll get pregnant.” Not only is this ad...
Why should I count my baby's kicks during pregnancy?
Count the KicksCount the Kicks
There are various benefits to counting your baby's kicks during pregnancy. Significant changes in yo...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How Can I Deal with Lack of Sex Drive While I'm Pregnant?