What happens when an egg is fertilized?

Darcy N. Bryan, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
When a egg is fertilized with a sperm, an embryo is created. In this video, Darcy Bryan, MD, of Riverside Community Hospital, explains the fertilization process.

Once the sperm penetrates the ovum (egg) a physiologic barrier, the zona pellucida is formed around the ovum so no additional sperm can penetrate. The moment of fertilization occurs as the nuclei of the ovum and the sperm swell, approach and ultimately unite. At this moment the nuclear membrane of the haploid gametes disappears, the chromosomes find their mate, the diploid chromosome number is restored and the zygote is created. At this moment the biological gender of the zygote is determined.

After the egg drops from the ovary, it travels through the Fallopian tube, where there's about a 24-hour window when it can be fertilized. Even if you try to summit Everest, this is the most dangerous journey you will ever take. If all goes right, the sperm meets the egg in the Fallopian tube and the two half-genomes unite to form a complete set of genes containing all of the DNA necessary to make a new human being. The fertilized egg says thank you very much and moves along to the uterus. There, it will attach to the uterine lining and begin the amazing process of becoming a baby. Once the sperm fertilizes the egg, the fragile blastocyst multiplies its cells and must implant on the uterus wall to endure the 280-day pregnancy.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

What You Can (and Can’t) Eat During Pregnancy
Two years ago, I was working overnights in the ER, drinking grande lattes and enjoying a multi-course sushi dinner for a friend’s bachelorette …. two ...
What is an ectopic pregnancy?
Riverside Community HospitalRiverside Community Hospital
An ectopic pregnancy is a pregnancy that is growing outside of the uterine cavity.
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
Can Petite Women Safely Give Birth Vaginally?