What happens when an egg is fertilized?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Once the sperm penetrates the ovum (egg) a physiologic barrier, the zona pellucida is formed around the ovum so no additional sperm can penetrate. The moment of fertilization occurs as the nuclei of the ovum and the sperm swell, approach and ultimately unite. At this moment the nuclear membrane of the haploid gametes disappears, the chromosomes find their mate, the diploid chromosome number is restored and the zygote is created. At this moment the biological gender of the zygote is determined.

After the egg drops from the ovary, it travels through the Fallopian tube, where there's about a 24-hour window when it can be fertilized. Even if you try to summit Everest, this is the most dangerous journey you will ever take. If all goes right, the sperm meets the egg in the Fallopian tube and the two half-genomes unite to form a complete set of genes containing all of the DNA necessary to make a new human being. The fertilized egg says thank you very much and moves along to the uterus. There, it will attach to the uterine lining and begin the amazing process of becoming a baby. Once the sperm fertilizes the egg, the fragile blastocyst multiplies its cells and must implant on the uterus wall to endure the 280-day pregnancy.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

What are the risks of taking anti-seizure drugs during pregnancy?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
In general, anti-seizure drugs are limited to the treatment of seizure or epilepsy disorders dur...
What is an ectopic pregnancy?
An ectopic pregnancy is an abnormal pregnancy which implants outside of the uterus. The most common ...
What is the centering pregnancy model?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Some doctors and certified nurse-midwives follow a model for group prenatal visits called Centering ...
What Are the Risks for Pregnancy After Age 40?