What can I do to ease swelling in my legs and feet during pregnancy?

Changing hormones and pressure from your growing uterus can cause swelling, especially in the legs. Wearing support pantyhose and resting with your legs elevated can help. So can avoiding salty foods, which promote fluid retention. Cut back on salted popcorn, pretzels, saltines, potato chips, canned soups, canned vegetables, canned fish and meats, tomato juice, V-8, luncheon meats, bacon, sausage, country ham, and salt pork. Contact your obstetrician if your swelling increases or occurs in your face or around your eyes.
Paula Greer
Midwifery Nursing

There are many ways to help with the normal swelling of pregnancy. Avoid prolonged standing or sitting which increases the pressure to your lower extremities. Wear well-fitting shoes with good supportive arches. Make sure to take frequent breaks. If you have been sitting at a desk get up and stretch or make your way to the bathroom every hour. Drinking lots of water will help the swelling but what goes in needs to come out so a trip every hour will be a great way to multitask these two important details. If your job has you standing long hours find ways to sit and prop up your legs. The water will get you the trip to the bathroom and this still will help you to get off your feet once an hour. Watch your intake of sodium which can aggravate the swelling and make you retain even more fluid. At the end of the day soak in the tub as this will also help you to deflate emotionally as well as physically.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Breastfeeding Help for New Moms
As a self-proclaimed “professional auntie,” I didn’t really have an opinion on breastfeeding until the birth of my youngest niece about a year and a h...
What are the risks for pregnancy after age 40?
Margaret L. McKenzie, MDMargaret L. McKenzie, MD
There are risks for older women who become pregnant. Watch this video for what you need to know ...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
What Should I Avoid During Pregnancy?
What Should I Avoid During Pregnancy?