What should I include in my diet if I have insomnia during pregnancy?

If you have insomnia, you should already be limiting caffeine and not drinking alcohol during your pregnancy; that's good. Another little-known cause of insomnia is anemia, or iron deficiency. Restless legs syndrome, which is common during pregnancy and causes insomnia, has been associated with iron deficiency. If you suspect you may be anemic, increase the amount of dark, leafy green vegetables, like spinach and collard greens. These foods are also rich in chlorophyll, which is thought to improve sleep. Other iron-rich foods include red meat, egg yolks, dried fruit, beans, liver, and artichokes.

Fruits, particularly lemons and mulberries, have a calming effect, and cherries contain melatonin. Bananas are rich in serotonin and potassium, which are important for getting a good night's sleep. Whole wheat, oats, and brown rice have a soothing effect on the nervous system, and chia seeds are known to act as sedatives. The classic sleep aid—chamomile tea—is effective in calming the digestive system and relieving muscle tension.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

What happens when an egg is fertilized?
After the egg drops from the ovary, it travels through the Fallopian tube, where there's about a 24-...
If I'm pregnant and carrying low, will I have a boy?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
This is one of those myths that makes guessing the baby's gender fun but has no basis in fact. "Carr...
Where can I look for an obstetrician-gynecologist (OBGYN)?
St. David’s HealthCareSt. David’s HealthCare
To look for an obstetrician-gynecologist (OBGYN), internet sites that provide basic information on d...
How Soon After Giving Birth Can I Have Sex?