What is delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS) during pregnancy?

With all of the changes going on in your body during your pregnancy, you may find that your sleep rhythms are disrupted. Most women find themselves falling asleep earlier than usual while pregnant, especially in the first trimester, but some women can't fall asleep until late at night or early in the morning.

This is called delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS), and it happens when your circadian rhythm, or internal clock, gets delayed. If you have DSPS, you might not be sleepy until the wee hours of the morning. The real problem arises when work, family, or school requires you to wake up bright and early, leaving you with only a few hours of sleep.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Take Charge for a Healthy Pregnancy and Baby
During pregnancy, a developing fetus is tuned-in to Mom -- reacting to her voice, tasting the food she ate for dinner, feeling her sway as she walks a...
What experiences can I go through during pregnancy?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
If you are pregnant, during the coming nine months, you will experience enormous physical and emotio...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How May Nursing My Baby Affect My Libido?